The People's Poet!

The People's Poet!
Right on, kids!

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Rik Mayall (7 March 1958 – 9 June 2014).

I remember when The Young Ones first appeared on television in New Zealand, I think it was on Friday night. A few mates and I would watch the latest episode while taping it, then we would watch the episode again straight afterwards. There really was nothing that came close to the anarchic madness The Young Ones represented at the time, I have never laughed as hard at anything I have seen as I did during that first episode.

  “I feel sorry for you, you zeros, you nobodies. What’s going to live on after you die? Nothing, that’s what! This house will become a shrine! And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, ‘But why are the kids crying?’ And the kids will say, ‘Haven’t you heard? Rick is dead! The People’s Poet is dead!’ And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, ‘Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?’."

 The People’s Poem:
  What do you think you’re doing
  PIG?
  Do you really give a FIG, 
  PIG? 
  And what’s your favourite GIG,
  PIG? 
  Barry Manilow … 
  or the Black and White Minstrel Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment